Thursday, February 17, 2011

Review of my Latest Orla Kiely Bag: Big Summer Flower Handbag

If there's one thing I love more than Anthropologie, it's Orla Kiely. I've spent the last 4 years building my Orla collection, which I will share with you one of these days in a special post. My latest Orla purchase was a Christmas present to myself this past year, but I almost didn't buy this bag and here's why.

I was browsing online, looking for deals on current Orla bags that were slowly going on sale. After jumping from site to site, I came across a pattern and bag style I had never seen before and wasn't posted on Orla's website. My first thought was 'surely, this must be a fake!' However, I really liked the pattern so I had to find out the truth about this bag.

Using the power of the Internet and my superior searching skills, I found the same bag on another website. The website noted that the bags were Spring/Summer 2011 and were shipped early from Orla Kiely. Due to excitement of this fun and new Orla pattern, the website could not wait and posted the bags early. I hesitated for a moment. A few months earlier, I had seen an Orla fake while shopping in Dallas with my sister. I didn't want to make a mistake and spend big bucks on something that may or may not be authentic. I browsed around the website a little further and saw other Orla bags that I knew were not fakes. I felt pretty comfortable at that point and moved forward with the purchase.

The bag I purchased: Big Summer Flower Handbag by Orla Kiely ETC

I love almost everything about this bag, but was a little disappointed to see that one key item was missing. I'm used to seeing a lining inside with Orla's signature multi-stem patten. This bag did not have any lining. I suppose no one will look inside my bag and say 'where's the lining?,' but I was expecting the bag to have one since all my other Orla bags do. Also, if you want to wear the bag over the shoulder, you will have to tuck the zipper down into the bag for a comfortable fit, as seen on the image above. Otherwise, it may be a tight fit and will easily fall off the shoulder. Other than those two items, still a great accessory for the Spring 2011.

Here's my review:

Style: Not your typical Orla style, but unique and will have other asking 'where did you get that fabulous bag?!' Inside pocket and two outside pockets (I do not recommend putting much in those outside pockets as it may stretch them out)
Pattern: Fun, different from the typical Orla patterns, but still has signature multi-stem pattern mixed with brilliant color from the flowers
Size: Medium; I can fit an 8 1/2 by 11 notebook inside.
Overall Rating: 4 out of 5 (-1 for no lining)

Additional Pictures provided below for your viewing pleasure.

Straps up:


Straps down:


Close up on the pattern:


Close up on the strap:


Just lying around:


The inside with no lining:


Zipped up and ready to wear!


If you love this bag, it's now available on the Orla Kiely website for $155. There are also other new and great styles available in this pattern. I'm sure you'll find one that will suit you best.

No comments:

Post a Comment